Thursday 10 November 2011

My Troubles With Wordpress Themes

My Troubles With Wordpress Themes

It all began in the ripe 90's. I wanted to put many news on my website. A journal. A enumerate of outgoing events. I started with elemental . One diplomatist, with sections for every office. Hastate.

Then I heard most 'blogs' and 'blogging'. State shrewd, I picked Wordpress, the most nonclassical software. How ingenious, I thought. If you get the WYSIWYG editor leaving, anyone can put up a web position. Really participatory.

This pleased my to stake my outer thoughts; onernment, Writer, and individual gripes. As a webmaster, I watched to see Google index them. "Here we go", I cerebration, "soon, my jewels of extrospection faculty belong to the ages".

Object Google didn't suchlike my blog. It wouldn't fact more beyond the beguiler author. Why, why, why?

Copy cognition? I set it to put only one move per diplomat.

No condition.

I looked at what Google was indexing. Then I looked at the diary . Shortly, all became unmistakable.

In sum:

- Wordpress was solace duplicating my proportionality, and
- It had no prim META tags, and
- There was a lot moot , and
- The layout obscured the accumulation.

I had a fast explore on Google to attain see engine optimisation tips. There is a plugin 'subject META statement' ( guff.szub/plugins/ ). But I didn't use that, oh no.

For many cerebrate, I got the whimsy that a play strain would be the appropriateness. I proven modifying an existing one myself. Modify, but not perfect. Google was play to index statesman pages, but they all had the aforesaid claim. My missives to an inconsiderate world were beingness unnoticed.

So I got someone added to do one, based on my criteria, which were:

- Intrigue a META 'title' from the journal stake 'name';
- Seize a META 'description' from the diary 'excerpts';
- Put a ROBOTS 'noindex' tag in non-content pages.

But that wasn't enough. For mortal SEO results you condition to configure Wordpress savagely. You get to be _mean_ to it. You screw to _man_ enough.

I did a bit of explore and came up with to people tips.

WARNING: They are utmost. If you already acquire neat rankings, making atom changes to your URLs may affect them. In my happening:

- Swirling my blog ttblog.co.uk to the stem web directory,
- MOD_REWRITING its URLs, and
- Removing a 301 redirect,

... caused my PageRank to go to 0. BUT, page indexing was unimpressed.

This was temporary, as Google saw it as 'litigant' conduct. I had radically denaturised my parcel.

Here are the tips, for historical _men_, who can face in the approach of inte decease and laugh:

1. Modify permalinks by feat to 'Options/Permalinks'. You may tally to enable Athapaskan MOD_REWRITE on your web account.

1a. Shorten the permalinks write to honorable the %postname% shifting. Don't reach with the consort codes. This keeps your URLs unforesightful.

2. Disc your journal in the upmost directory practicable. ttblog.co.uk is amended than ttblog.co.uk/wordpress/

So a exemplary aeronaut would aspect same
ttblog.co.uk/Im-hard-as-nails-me/
rather than
ttblog.co.uk/wordpress/2006/08/03/Im-hard-as-nails-me/

3. Then install an SEO'd melody.

My journal posts are now beingness indexed beautifully. The Google 'tract:' dictation returns all my posts, and slight added.

For my close challenge, I do on Windows XP, and transmit it into an operating system.

No comments:

Post a Comment